TCM View of Addictions
It's quite different from the predominant cultural views which are rooted in moral values which lead people (addicted and non-addicted) to assign blame and negatively evaluate the worth of an addicted person. Traditional Chinese Medicine doesn't allow or invite that. Below is a brief list of the main features.
- Addiction is a disease with origins which are irrelevant to choice.
- Use of all substances (including many foods - foods and herbs are classifed by the same system) are forms of self-medication.
- Change of medication is implied by the term "self-medication".
- Change of medication is a specific change which is within the ability of the addicted person.
- Since addictions are immune to choice and force of will, guilt and liability can't be assigned.
Guilt is a risk factor for relapse.
- TCM has many models of illness.This greatly increases the number of possible tools that can be bear on an addiction/self-medication.
I know this section needs more development and it will get it eventually. Send Suggestions